YOUR 2A HAIRCARE CALENDAR
Use this interactive calendar to see daily haircare guidelines based on your curl pattern.
WHAT IS TYPE 2A HAIR?
Type 2a hair falls on the wavy hair spectrum somewhere between curly and straight strands. For those not familiar with the hair type chart, type 2a hair has beautiful body, semi-inconsistent bends and looks fabulous when worn natural or lightly styled.
As all women with curly or wavy hair know, your strands can be slightly unpredictable. Type 2a hair has several loose, natural, beachy waves all over the head, unlike 1c hair that features a few slight bends. Type 2a hair isn’t as frizzy as the other two Type 2 hair categories, so it can easily be weighed down when you apply too much product.
CARING FOR 2A WAVY HAIR
Caring for curly and wavy hair starts in the shower, and requires the right products for your hair type. While wavy hair has a natural malleability that makes it one of the easiest hair types to style, many wavy and curly tresses tend to require products that keep the frizz at bay. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Stop Using Products With Sulfates And Water-Insoluble Silicones
- With the exception of Silicone Quaternium-16 (special case, a polymer-type silicone that bonds to damaged areas and is not supposed to accumulate on top of itself.) Regular shampoo contains sulfates, which causes hair to be dry and frizzy. Once you switch to a silicone-free conditioner, you won't need sulfates due to the lack of excess silicones on your hair that need to be dissolved by the sulfates.
- Squish To Condish.
- Don't Use A Towel.
- When you get out of the shower, use a t-shirt to scrunch as much excess water out of your hair as possible (don't use a towel, it causes frizz).
- Before Drying Your Hair, Scrunch And Plop Your Hair For 10 Minutes
- Let Your Hair Air-Dry Or Use A Diffuser.
- Detangle Your Hair When Dry Once Per Week Before Showering
- Only Comb Your Hair When It's Wet (Unless detangling prior to showering)
- Brushing your hair when it's anything but sopping wet can cause instantaneous frizz. The best thing to do with wavy hair is to comb through it either in the shower or right after getting out when it is still dripping wet. Particularly with type 2a, fine hair dries so quickly that it has to either be combed immediately or not at all.
- Reduce Your Washing Frequency. Wash Hair Every 3-4 Days.
- Only Apply Conditioner From The Ears Down.
- Do not apply to the scalp. The additional amount of conditioning will help retain shininess of hair and sleek appearance.
- Do Not Wash Your Hair With Hot Water.